Sunday, 14 February 2016

Chief Secretary seeks quake damage reports

Manipur News
IMPHAL, Feb 14: Chief Secretary O Nabakishore has urged the individuals concerned whose houses had suffered damages in January 4 earthquake to submit details of their losses to the concerned DCs within two days.
Addressing a press conference at the conference hall of Old Secretariat, the Chief Secretary said that although the concerned Departments could easily carry out value assessment of Government buildings, the Government has not received detailed report of the losses suffered by private individuals.
As such, private individuals are informed to submit these details to the DCs and SDOs concerned within two days so that the State Government may compile an elaborate report to forward it to the Centre, he said.
The State Government would find easy to compensate the private individuals if the Centre sanctions fund for the said purpose, the Chief Secretary said.
Seeking co-operation from the public regarding the matter, O Nabakishore said the State Government may face inconvenience if the reports of private individuals are not included in the overall report to be submitted to the Centre.
According to an assessment done by the State Government, 3218 buildings were reported damaged in the quake.
Of this, 62 are Government buildings, 106 are community sheds and 248 are schools.
The Chief Secretary said that 10 persons were killed and 120 injured in the devastating earthquake.
Of these 10 casualties, three in Imphal West and one each in Imphal East and Senapati districts have been compensated so far, O Nabakishore said.
On the otherhand, Rs 10 crore has been sanctioned to provide aid to the affected families so far.
Of this total amount, Rs 5 crore has been used in Senapati district, Rs 1.50 crore each in Imphal West and Tamenglong, Rs 1 crore in Imphal East, and Rs 50 lakh each in Thoubal and Bishnupur districts, he said.
Saying that distribution of compensation amount has already begun through the DCs concerned, O Nabakishore said that Rs 1 lakh and Rs 90,000 is provided to the individuals whose house has been fully damaged in hill and valley areas respectively.
For partially damaged houses, compensation amount is fixed according to the level of the damage, he said.
After the State Government submits a memorandum to the Centre regarding the earthquake, the latter would send an expert committee to assess loss of properties and life to the State, he said.
The committee would recommend the total relief amount to be sanctioned to the State accordingly, the Chief Secretary said.
He also urged the women vendors not to sell their wares inside the damaged Ima Keithels as experts had observed that it is not safe at all.
Regarding shifting of houses to other places by some villagers in Tamenglong district, O Nabakishore said that the State Government has not issued any order in this connection so far. They have moved to safety on their own, he said.

No comments:

Post a comment